Pembroke Public Library (PPL) Adult Short Story Contest Rules
What: Contest opens October 15th, 2018 Pembroke Public Library (PPL) will be accepting submissions for a short story competition, closing date for submissions on the 1St April 2019.
WHEN: The competition is open for submissions October – 15th
WHO: All adults (18 and older) who reside in Renfrew County.
HOW: During the competition dates, submissions can be emailed to email@example.com (subject: short story contest submission) or on a USB stick, in person, to the adult circulation desk at Library located at 237 Victoria St, Pembroke, Ontario during operating hours.
Prizes: The winner receives $100 gift certificate from Burnstown Publishers, with two runners up at $50 each. All entrants will receive a certificate of participation in the event.
You can submit original, unpublished works of nonfiction of between 1000-1500 words. The name of the story and total word count must be printed on the cover page of submission. Real names must be used when entering contest, pseudonyms are not permitted.
Submissions must be:
– Submitted with the entry form
– Original and unpublished
– Name of story and word count included
– up to 1500 typed words in English
– Double Spaced
– In letter format (8½ by 11)
– Authors name must not be included anywhere within the Short Story, only on the entry form.
– Please do not send photographs or artwork with entries.
– Winners will be contacted about a photograph as required and must agree to publication of his/her photograph
– Only one submission per person
– There is a $10.00 entrance fee. Monies must be paid to the circulation desk of the library at time of submission. Cash or cheque only. No debit
All submissions are final; changes or substitutions to works once submitted are not permitted.
Works will not be returned and editorial comments will not be given.
PPL reserves the right to reject and/or disqualify any submission which could be offensive or inappropriate, or that does not meet the terms and conditions of these rules.
When entering the contest, participants agree to allow the Pembroke Public Library to publish their stories, names and biographical information in all media, including, but not limited to, newspapers and online websites, without any compensation, with the exception of the prizes awarded. The writer retains ownership
Right of Publication: Submission implies the author is granting first right of publication to the Pembroke Public Library as entrants may be published in a short story collection. Rights then revert to the author.