Be sure to check our Calendars for the latest Children’s & Teens events!
Renfrew County and District Health Unit is promoting Nutri-eSTEP (CLICK HERE to go to the link). Nutri-eSTEP is an online questionnaire that asks 17 questions about a child’s typical food choices and eating behaviours, as well as physical activity and growth patterns. The questionnaire takes less than 10 minutes to complete, and Nutri-eSTEP provides immediate feedback.
Nutri-eSTEP is a fast and simple way for parents and caregivers to find out if their young child (18 months to 5 years) is a healthy eater and to get feedback and links to trusted nutrition resources, tools and recipes. By using Nutri-eSTEP parents can identify and respond to nutrition concerns at an early age, before the child starts school.
Visit these suggested sites or stop into The Pembroke Public Library for other programs and activities currently available.
- ABC Life Literacy Canada, a non-profit organization that inspires Canadians to increase their literacy skills. Taking time every day to read or do a learning activity with children is crucial to a child’s development.
- Family Literacy Day Honorary Chair, Barbara Reid’s suggestions for special activities using modelling clay in English or French. Make family time learning time with this activity sheet!
- Toronto Public Library’s Early Literacy (Birth to 5) – Ready for Reading
- Early Learning And Child Care Renfrew County
- Ottawa Parent Resource Centre
- Have you read a book that you loved, and would like to let people know they should be reading it?
- Want to warn people to stay away from a book you hated?
- Need Ideas for books you should be reading?
(Reminder: All reviews will be approved for appropriate content and language before being posted. Be creative, get your meaning across without using inappropriate language.)
Try out these titles or others from our library!
- Counting Our Way to the 100th Day by Betsy Franco
- First Grade, Here I Come! by Nancy Carlson
- My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, And High Fives by Jamie Lee Curtis & Laura Cornell
- Joe and Sparky Go To School by Jamie Michalak
- Pinkalicious: School Rules! by Victoria Kann
- New Easy & Easy Reader Books
- New Junior Fiction
- Junior Francais Fiction et Non-Fiction
- Junior Non-fiction Materials
- New Junior Magazines
- Junior movies
- New Brain builders
- E-Books (on Overdrive)
- Books, talking books, magazines, VHS & CDs — unlimited.
- DVDs & PC games — maximum 5
- Books, taking books, magazines — 3 weeks
- DVDs, VHS, PC games and CDs — 7 days
You can renew all loans in person, on-line or by phone as long as:
- They are not overdue.
- They are not reserved by another patron.
- *Maximum 3 renewals*
- $0.20 per Children’s book/day
- $0.30 per Adult book/day
- $1.50 per CD, VHS, DVD or PC game/day
Computers with Internet connection are available to youth up to 15 years old. Computer access is 1 hour with 1 hour renewal possible. Printing is $0.25/page for black & white, $1.00/page for color. We also have 2 computers with games and a Literacy Station for preschoolers +.
If you would like a book, movie or CD that is out, you can reserve it on your account either in person, on-line or over the phone.